Permanent governance failure, corruption and promises of the sky have destabilized Dr. Eastern Congo for decades. Not only did Kinshasa government fail to dismantle “more than 200 armed groups destroying our lands,” but it was often actively present for political and economic interests, according to Bertrand Bisimwa, the coordinator of the AFC/M23 Rebellion.
Also Read: Rwanda will not bear the burden of Dr. Congo’s failure – Top EU diplomat from Nduhungirehe
In a post on X, Bisimwa stated: “What you’re looking at here is a glimpse of the suffering that Dr. Congo has endured for over 30 years.
Also Read: Dr. Congo, Dr. M23 talks directly, Angola says
“We, the AFC-M23, did not remove weapons from greed and thirst for power, as Western stories often argue. We did not start this war. This war was forced upon us. The Eastern Congo had no real knowledge of peace.
What you see here is a glimpse of the suffering that people in the Eastern DRC have endured for over 30 years. Our organization, Alliance Fleuve Congo (AFC/M23), is a constant reminder of the world of wildness carried out by the Allied forces of the Kinshasa regime. March 10, 2025
Bisimwa has listed hidden facts from the public to maintain the demonization of AFC/M23.
Restore the order in Goma
On January 27th, after a fierce battle caused by constant violations by the Congolese Union of previous set ceasefires, the rebels captured Goma, the capital of North Kivu province, and restored their orders there. The rebels consolidated hundreds of government soldiers who surrendered after they captured Goma.
Video: Goma, Corneille Nangaa and what’s next on FDLR capture
Since the release of Goma, in January, Bishimwa said, “We have reestablished laws and order that were nothing. Businesses have reopened, children have returned to schools, our troops patrolling the streets to ensure the safety of everyone, day and night.”
“Unlike the Congolese government, which failed its people, we have managed to ensure the free movement of individuals and their property.”
Also Read: Former Belgian Senator Tour Goma challenges Western edition events
Earlier this month, following a tour of Goma, former Belgian senator Alain Desteque said he discovered the city was peaceful as residents are working on their business normally.
Destexhe said:
“Right now, drivers follow red lights and are no longer victims of police assault. Another impressive change is the cleanliness of the city. Overrun with trash was cleaned in Salongo, a community work organized by the new authorities.”
The AFC/M23 liberated areas are well known to have strict respect for obligations derived from Geneva’s treaties and additional protocols to protect private infrastructure, including hospitals, Bishimwa emphasized.
Thousands of internally evacuated people have already returned to their homes, Bishymwa noted “people who, for years, were trapped in miserable camps while their suffering was being exploited by international organizations and local actors who benefited from endless evacuations.”
Also Read: M23 calls for peace negotiations after control of Bukabu
Finished on silent genocide
Rebel movements are fighting for governance that supports basic human rights, secures all Congolese citizens and addresses the root causes of conflict. Among the other evils that are widespread in Dr. Congo, he vows to uproot the ideology of tribalism, nepotism, corruption and genocide.
“In the liberated regions, we ended quiet genocide, stopped hate speech and cannibalism, and promoted peaceful coexistence among the communities,” Bishymwa said.
“We urge the world to see the situation of what it really is and reject harmful misinformation. The accusations against AFC-M23 regarding human rights violations are false. For example, the mass rape of female prisoners occurred before AFC-M23 existed in Goma.
Also Read: EAC, SADC Leader Approves Harmony Plans for FDLR Neutralization
Sign up for the AllAfrica newsletter for free
Get the latest African news
success!
Almost finished…
You need to check your email address.
Follow the instructions in the email you sent to complete the process.
error!
There was a problem processing the submission. Please try again later.
Bishimwa acknowledged that future challenges are immeasurable.
He added:
“We are not afraid to fight for survival, but war was not our first choice. The Kinshasa administration has explicitly rejected a political dialogue that addresses the underlying causes of this conflict and opens the way for perpetuating the peace of our country. Peace begins with dialogue.
Also Read: Kagame attends EAC-SADC talks about Dr. Congo Crisis when Tshisekedi becomes virtual
Kinshasa continues to reject consultations with rebels and calls them “terrorists,” but also disgraces the regional and international efforts aimed at achieving lasting peace and stability by Congolese President Felix Tssisekedi skipping a critical meeting.
A continuous battle began between the Congolese Army Union and the M23 rebels.
The rebels are now part of the Fleuve Congo (AFC), a large rebel coalition established in December 2023, led by Corneil Nanga, former president of Dr. Congo’s National Election Commission (CENI).