Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni said US tariffs on European Union imports are “wrong” after US President Donald Trump announced he would charge 20% of EU goods.
Meloni is one of many world leaders who have been responding to Trump’s “liberation day” announcement, and includes a universal 10% baseline tariff on all imports into the US from April 5th.
Approximately 60 countries, including the EU, will face sudden tariffs starting April 9th. Some of the best prices are collected in small countries such as Lesotho, which have been subject to 50% collection.
Trump said the measure would “enrich America again,” adding that he was “very kind” to his decision.
Trump’s ally Meloni said EU tariffs “are not suitable for either party” — referring to the EU and the US — but she said she will work towards dealing with the US to “prevent a trade war.”
Her Spanish counterpart Pedro Sanchez said Spain will protect its businesses and workers and “continue to commit to an open world.”
Ireland’s Trade Minister Simon Harris said he was ready to negotiate with the US and calling it “the best way to move forward,” but Taojeech Mishal Martin said Trump’s decision “deeply regrets” and benefited “no one.”
Outside the EU, Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese said Americans would pay the biggest price for what they called “unfair tariffs,” but his government said they would not impose any mutual action.
“We won’t be racing to the bottom, which leads to higher prices and slower growth,” he added.
Brazil, Latin America’s largest economy, approved legislation Wednesday to combat the 10% tariffs imposed by Trump. There was no immediate response from the president, but last week Luis Inacio Lula da Silva said his country “cannot be stationary” in the face of tariffs.
Shortly after Trump’s announcement, U.S. Treasury Department’s Treasury Department Scott Bescent warned the country to “retaliate” and “sit down and take it.”
“If you’re going to retaliate, there’s escalation,” he told Fox News.
Notably, two of the US’s biggest trading partners, Canada and Mexico, were not mentioned in their announcement Wednesday.
The White House said it would address both countries in accordance with previous executive orders. This imposed a 25% tariff on both countries as part of an effort to address fentanyl and border issues.
Anyway, Canada will still be affected by tariffs, Prime Minister Mark Carney said. Measures such as the 25% tariff on cars that begin midnight on Thursday “will directly affect millions of Canadians,” he added.
He vowed to “fight with these tariffs and anti-measurements,” adding that US taxation “will fundamentally change the global trading system.”