Niger’s military government says it has released about 50 people detained after last year’s coup — including former ministers, politicians and journalists.
The announcement was made on national television on Tuesday, with government officials saying the decision was “in line with recommendations from the National Consultation for Reform held in February.”
During the July 2023 coup, General Abdulla Hamantiani, former presidential security commander, came to power. Dozens of people were arrested in the following weeks, including exiled civilian government members and figures accused of conspiracy against the state.
President Mohamed Bazoom remained in custody. His legal immunity has been lifted, but no trial date has been set.
The name is read on state television
Some former cabinet members were named among the released people. They include Mahamane Sani Isofou, a former oil minister who ruled from 2011 to 2021 and son of former president Mahamadou Isfou.
Also released were former finance ministers Ahmed Didud, Ahmed Didud, Ahmed Didud, Ahmed Didud, and Ibrahim Jacobu, who held the energy portfolio.
“These people are free to set up in accordance with recommendations from the National Council for Reform,” the TV announcement states.
Those names released were read out for a few minutes.
Niger Junta has set up a five-year transition to constitutional rules
The list of released detainees has been expanded beyond former cabinet members. Foumakoye Gado, who leads the former PNDS party, which was in power, has been released along with journalist Oousmane Toudou and Niger’s former Nigerian ambassador Alat Mogaskia.
Many were held in prisons across the country. The government did not say whether the charges were dropped or suspended, but was accused of “a conspiracy aimed at undermining the security and authority of the nation.”
Several soldiers who were previously convicted of attempting a coup in the 2010s were among those given freedom.
General Salou Souleymane, a former military commander who was sentenced to a maximum of 15 years in 2018, was sentenced to a maximum of 15 years in 2015 for attempting to overthrow Mahamadou Issoufou.
Their release was also presented as part of a February recommendation made during national consultations – a political process launched by the military regime after it took over power.
The government has not said whether more releases are planned.
(with newswire)